Monday, September 22, 2008

Obama and Bartlett?


I received about 20 emails this weekend on my personal and 17people email account.

17people@live.com for those who don't know how to reach me.

Every had the same thought. An article by Maureen Dowd in the New York Times that put and email she received from 17people hero Aaron Sorkin that put forth an imaginary discussion between Senator Barack Obama and fictional President from my beloved West Wing, Jed Bartlett (pictured above).

Here's the link to the article,, it's a good read.


As a tough critic of anything West Wing, I am jealous that Dowd can just email Sorkin while I just get to quote him. He hit the chord of Bartlett better than ever.
A tear comes to my eye as I try to imagine President Bartlett saying most everything, especially him being a smartass with high-level humor and satire.

Telling Obama that it's ok to be smart and it's dumb to try and not be smart.

A brilliant family member of mine said this would be a great SNL skit. Bring Martin Sheen and Barack Obama in and have them act out this conversation. Think that would be awesome.

There are many great fictional exchanges including the Bartlett rant at the end, but my favorite was right at the beginning about the Republican Convention.

BARTLET I meant the Republicans. The Us versus Them-a-thon. As a Democrat I was surprised to learn that I don’t like small towns, God, people with jobs or America. I’ve been a little out of touch but is there a mandate that the vice president be skilled at field dressing a moose —

No comments: