Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Tribute To Heroes


September 11, 2001.

We all know where we were that day, and if you talk to anyone about it,, you are bound to hear a story about what they were feeling, who they were worried about, or what was going on in their lives that day.

Today's a somber day, a day of remembrance, and a day to forget about politics. I have sat in my office or house each of the last seven years watching the coverage, or watching YouTube tributes and remember that day. It's hard day to focus, it's a day I think we are all easily moved to tears.

My tradition every 9/11 is to watch the DVD of "A Tribute to Heroes".

It was a powerful two hour telethon that raised over $30million for the victims of the attacks.

An incredible opening 5 minutes with Bruce Springsteen (before I was a huge fan of his) singing an acoustic version of the never heard before "My City of Ruin", followed by Tom Hanks telling a tale of the heroism that took place on Flight 93 always grip me right off the bat.

In between the powerful musical performances were the extraordinary stories of just some of the many heroes of 9/11.

Every year I watch this, I think it will impact me less because it's another year removed. Yet each year my eyes fill with tears, my heart aches for the families who lost loved ones, and I am so proud of the courageousness of my fellow Americans.

Below is the first 20 minutes or so of a Tribute to Heroes from September 21, 2001.





1 comment:

Sarah said...

I think the strangest thing about Sept 11th is there is little way to acknowledge it. It is a monumental day for all of us but we all walk around in silence. Usually, on days of such significance we are all celebrating something and we walk around freely talking about it, but this day is the opposite.

I guess maybe this is a good thing, maybe we all talk to much. But with such silence I fear this day will be easier for many of us to forget too.