Monday, November 3, 2008

The Problem With Voting

Wrote last week that I voted early and waited around two hours to do so.

One thing that piece failed to mention is that while standing in line to vote,, at number of people had to leave because they just couldn't wait. Some had to get to work that night, others had to pick up their kids, and some just probably got frustrated.

Last evening I was reminded of this in a piece by Rachel Maddow. She called the very lengthy lines at polling locations which she called the equivalent of a "New Poll Tax".

What I liked about what she said was that it was a non-partisan comment. Instead of blaming Republicans she used her show to highlight an issue that we don't talk a lot about.

The video below isn't long but it is worth your time.


1 comment:

Patrick said...

I think it's ridiculous that we spend years leading up to a presidential election and, in many states, have 12 hours to actually vote.

roaplat!

(As a 17 People bonus feature I am going to start putting my word verification "word" in my posts.