Wednesday, August 27, 2008

HRC= Home Run Clinton!






Like many Democrats there were two speeches at this convention I have truly been looking forward to. Neither of them had a speaker whose name was Barack Obama. Instead as it so often is the Democratic Party the anticipation was all about the Clinton's.

Hillary Clinton took to the stage last night and showed her best side. A feat that she has not always done throughout this race. At times she has showed her defiant side, her self pity side, and her bear knuckles brawler side.

Last night she showed the side of her that would have won her the nomination had she consistently stuck to it. The performance last night was big for the Party, big for Barack Obama's chances, and most importantly for her, will solidify herself as a political force for years to come.


She was passionate on her issues, steadfast in her commitment to Barack Obama, and very sharp in her attacks on John McCain. It may have been the best speech I have ever seen her give and it was exactly the tone and speech she needed to give. She couldn't be an attack dog on McCain, but she couldn't give him a free pass either.

Some are saying her line, "I cannot wait to watch Barack Obama sign into law a health care plan that covers every single American", was a slap at Obama's health care plan. Let me ask this. Had she not pushed her signature issue and passed on it wouldn't she be getting slammed even worse? If I were a loyal Hillary supporter and she didn't mention Universal Health Care I would have thought she sold out her core belief for unity. She didn't give in on her issues and I respect that more than if she came out and gave a fluff speech.

Keep in mind,, her issues were always General Election issues. In retrospect this is probably why she lost to Obama, but her core issues are the ones he needs to win in November.

Now I am not going to say everything went perfect last night. Bill Clinton mouthing the words 'I love you' was just plain odd. He is fascinating to watch, and I am in the minority who believes he really loves his wife but it was sooo cheesy. Bill Clinton is a fascinating figure though and I thought the point by Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann was dead on. "There is no one more interesting to watch do nothing than Bill Clinton."

Additionally, I just didn't get all the people the cameras found I just ask,, really? Crying during that speech never crossed my mind. As good a speaker as Hillary has become, I don't think she was tear worthy, just the same way I wrote in February about people fainting during Obama speeches.


And finally, to the die hard Hillary supporters that are saying they won't vote for Obama because they feel 'she got screwed.' You can do whatever you want, but you should listen to your candidate.

"Nothing less than the fate of our nation and the future of our children hangs in the balance. I want you to think about your children and grandchildren come election day. Think about the choices your parents and grandparents made that had such a big impact on your lives and on the life of our nation.

We've got to ensure that the choice we make in this election honors the sacrifices of all who came before us and will fill the lives of our children with possibility and hope. That is our duty to build that bright future, to teach our children that in America there is no chasm too deep, no barrier too great, no ceiling too high, for all who work hard, who keep going, have faith in God and our country and each other.That is our mission Democrats!"

It was a great speech with wonderful writing and it needed a big time delivery. Hillary hit it out of the park.

I'm a baseball fan way before politics and look at the convention this way thus far. Michelle Obama led the game off with a triple off the wall. Hillary drove her in with a two run homer. Now the Dems have their two 3 and 4 hitters (always the best in any lineup) to come out and win the game.

No disrespect to my guy Joe Biden, but in recent times there are not two better speakers than Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. This is Ruth and Gehrig for the Democrats.

Hillary Clinton laid a challenge to them last night and I think they're going to bring it the next two nights!

HILLARY INTRO VIDEO

Hillary was introduced by her daughter and the video below. I thought this was really, really good. I greatly enjoyed it and think if you have daughters, it is the kind of thing you should share with them.

Like her or not, what Hillary Clinton did will change the way we view women candidates and owe her a great deal of gratitude for that. She may have lost, but she went for it like no woman ever has before.

Even tough guy me who doesn't cry during wedding toasts or faint during speeches got choked up with the video below. I'm not a father yet, but I thought of two of my best friends three daughters Keira, Reagan, and Caroline whom I love to death and my crazy little Goddaughter Lilly while watching this. Noone has to say 'suuuure you can be President' to any of them anymore, and not mean it. Hillary Clinton moved the cause for all women forward despite what her irrational haters will say.

When those four little girls are old enough to understand, I want them to see this video and talk to them about the 2008 campaign of Hillary Rodham Clinton. How she nearly blasted through that last great glass ceiling, and paved the way for women to go toe to toe with the men and make us all truly think about a woman in the White House. (Ironically, none of the parents of the 4 little girl I named,,, would have voted for Hillary, lol)

3 comments:

Patrick said...

Honestly, I was unimpressed.

As always, the focus of Hillary Clinton's speech was Hillary Clinton. She spent the first ten minutes primarily talking about how cool she is and just barely talked about Obama at all.

Her twin cities line was very funny though.

Having said that, the other Clinton (Bill) was really, really good last night.

Patrick said...

Also, could Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann be bigger fanboys?

I wouldn't be surprised if they both just started giggling and squealing, unable to continue their coverage because they are just so overwhelmed with excitement that they are unable to catch their breath.

It's like me whenever someone mentions George Clooney.

17 People said...

P, I agree Bill's speech was better and less self serving, but think she had to tout herself as I wrote and the speech itself was beautifully written and delievered.

But Matthews and Olbermann were over the top, but Olbermann was right on one point, if you voted for Hillary and still think you should vote for McCain, Hillary said you are nuts!

I took off the red hatred glasses for John Kerry, try and do it for Hillary, she killed it. Read it here if you don't want her pantsuit to distract you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-daou/transcript-of-hillarys-sp_b_105839.html

And it's like me whenever someone mentions Christian Bale.