Monday, June 16, 2008

Tim Russert, Part 2



Each of the past two days I have started to write an article to talk about something on the passing of Tim Russert. Yet, the efforts were not Russert worthy. For each of us there are news stories and events that we are drawn to, that we can't stop watching. For me, I have been captivated by the stories around a man I always admired so much, Tim Russert.

I honestly don't know how Tom Brokaw, Andrea Mitchell, and especially Keith Olberman were able to host hours of live coverage on Friday evening so soon after learning the news of Russert. It seemed as if Olberman hosted for 10 hours, and spent most of that time fighting through tears and obvious emotions.

Being lucky to have a great group of friends I was particularly moved to emotions with the insights and stories of Mike Barnicle and Al Hunt, who by all accounts were Russerts best friends. The bonds that these guys discussed were the kinds of friendships we all hope to have and cherish so much when we do. The kinds of friendships where you get 7 text messages in the span of two hours asking if I was ok when the news of Russert's passing hit the airwaves.

I am not one who likes to dwell on the past or on death, but the passing of Tim Russert has saddened me through the weekend. After spending a wonderful fathers day with my own dad yesterday, my heart really breaks for Tim's son Luke whom he always raved about on the air.

As has been pointed out to me by many in the past couple days, Tim Russert and I would have been two peas in a pod. We both loved politics, were ardent sports fans who loved baseball, and shared a nearly unmatched affinity for Bruce Springsteen.

I have to imagine that when Tim looked down from wherever he is on Saturday night, hearing 'The Boss' on stage in his native land of Ireland dedicate Thunder Road to him brought him a big smile.

I'd like to do this tonight for a long time friend of the E Street Band who passed away suddenly.

"Tim Russert was an important unreplacable voice in American journalism. I watched him hold our politicians feet to the fire on many Sunday mornings. He was always a strong voice for honesty and accountability in American government .. but beyond that he was a lovely presence, a good father, husband, and good guy.

He was a regular at many E Street Band shows and I'm going to miss looking down and seeing that big smiling face in the crowd."We send this out all the way back to the states tonight for his son Luke, his wife Maureen, his dad Big Russ , and all the Russert family.

"Tim , God Bless You, We will miss you..."

No comments: