Sunday, June 8, 2008

Weather Delay



Had a great time at a wedding in Louisville, Ky this past weekend for two of this blogs most loyal readers and contributors. So before going into a 17people rant want to say congratulations to one of the coolest couples I know, Patrick and Sarah. Very happy for you guys and wish you nothing but the best.

Now for those of you who know me best I have historically had bad luck flying or travelling in general. So today I got to the airport at 1200 edt for a 1:47 flight and now my latest departure time is 6:36. So figured what better thing to waste time than to talk about some observations of my time at SDF airport in Louisville.

The reason for the delay? Its perfect weather here in Louisville yet I hear that Chicago is looking a bit like a scene from The Day After Tomorrow. The video above was shot yesterday as some suburbs of Chicago were hit with tornado's. The weather has stayed awful and my day has been spent dealing with air travel.

So here are some random thoughts:

  • Air travel is becoming more tedious than ever. I was greeted with people pitching a bitch about having a fee to check their second bag.
  • What did we do before Ipods? Seriously good music (for me of course a lot of Springsteen) makes long periods of time go by quicker,
  • Thanks God for my wireless internet card. I don't know what I would have done the past 5-6 hours without the ability to surf the web, follow my fantasy baseball teams, and email work and friends. (Though for my friends who received lengthy emails and numerous texts I hope they were at least entertaining)
  • Wrote an email to a dear friend who found me via LinkedIn I hadn't been in touch with for over 5 years. I was very skeptical of these sites when I signed into them but have to say they are a pretty amazing way to find people you haven't been in touch with.
  • While its common knowledge airport food is bad, it doesn't really hit you until your stuck with it for 7 hours. Also as someone who preaches eating healthy,,, airports make that particularly difficult.
  • There has to be a better way for the airlines to tell people what is going on in a delay. Obviously things change with time, especially weather, but its even worse when you ready for a flight at 1:47; 3:15; 4:28; 5:45; and now apparently 6:36.

Am finishing this from seat 3A (see I told you the wireless card rules!) and just heard from my dad that the skies of Chicago look beautiful now. So with all luck I will be home in an hour safe and sound.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you finally made it back.

Thanks again for being here.

Sarah said...

Thanks for coming down to share our day with us. Having such wonderful people there made it an incredible night.

The weather was a big problem for a lot of people as many came down from MN and WI. Many didn't get out until today that wanted to leave yesterday.

I don't miss traveling. I'm a old, lame, married woman now.